COVID-19 – Mandatory Masks By-Law
Effective Friday July, 10 2020 @ 12:01 am every person shall wear a mask in indoor public establishments in all areas where the public are welcome.
On March 21st 2022 the masking requirement will be lifted, except for the following areas:
- Public Transit
- Long-Term Care settings
- Retirement Homes
- Health-Care Settings
- Congregate Care Settings
- Homes for individuals with development disabilities
On April 27th masking requirements will be lifted for all settings
Who does this by-law apply too?
- ALL people- visitors, customers and employees
- Occupants or vehicles licensed by the City (mobile licensing) and Public Transit
- People with a medical condition preventing them from wearing a face covering (No proof is required, they only need to state that they are exempt under the by-law)
- Children 2 years of age or younger OR aged 3-5 years old and cannot be persuaded to wear a face covering
- Employees located within a space that is not accessible to the public (e.g. kitchen or back office space)
- Employees located behind a physical barrier, such as plexi-glass (e.g. a cashier with a plexi-glass shield between them and the customer)
- People engaged in fitness activity
For more information on exemptions, click here.
- Provincial and Federal Government Buildings
- Portions of facilities with day camps or training for professional or amateur athletes
- Restaurants and Bars (Dining areas, on outdoor patios)
For more information on exclusions, click here
How do I report non-compliance of this by-law?
Businesses and facilities are responsible for ensuring occupants of their property are wearing masks.
- If a person refuses to wear a mask, the store or property owner can refuse entry
- If the person does not comply or becomes confrontational, the business owner should contact 311 for by-law
- An Enforcement Officer will investigate the violation
- If the individual demonstrates verbal or physical aggression towards the business owner, they should contact Peel Regional Police
City of Brampton Facilities
- Persons not complying at City of Brampton Facilities should be reported to Security Services
- Fines range from $500-$100,000
To report a violation, call 311 or 905-458-3424.