Knowledge Article

City of Brampton 311. Request, track, and explore City Services.

By-Law and Enforcement Services - Landlord and Tenant Disputes

Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB) administers the Residential Tenancies Act, 2006. This law sets out the rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants who rent residential properties in Ontario.

One of the Board’s responsibilities is to provide information about the Act to landlords and tenants. In many cases, once landlords and tenants are aware of their rights and obligations they can resolve their own problems. However, if a landlord and tenant cannot resolve their problems, then another responsibility of the Board is to resolve these problems for them

If you are having any disputes with your Landlord, you can contact the Landlord Tenant Tribunal, a Property Standards Officer will not referee between the two parties.

Please note:

  • Only vital services can be addressed in an illegal unit. (heat, hydro, and hot water)

  • No other Property Standards issues can be addressed inside an illegal unit, if the problem is with their Hydro they should contact ESA (Electrical Safety Authority) 1-877-372-7233

If you have an urgent request or require further assistance, please contact 311 within Brampton or 905-874-2000.

Related Information:

Landlord Tenant Tribunal

Last Updated on Jun 2, 2020