COVID-19 – Physical Distancing at an Essential Business
To contain the COVID-19 virus, the City of Brampton has enacted Brampton COVID-19 Emergency Measures By-Law. This is to protect the health and safety of residents and community by regulating physical distancing.
Essential businesses will continue to be monitored by privately owned security companies to ensure there are no gatherings of more than 5 people or groups of any size not practicing physical distancing. Please note, this does not include essential businesses where the public is not permitted (i.e. companies that manufacture masks and gloves)
Violations of the By-Law include:
- Essential businesses (i.e. grocery stores) not adhering to physical distancing (inside or outside).
- Businesses must keep 2 meters between customers (includes standing, lining up, etc.)
- Events or gatherings of 6 people or more at an essential business, other than members of the same household
- Employees of essential businesses are exempt from the By-law and do not need to practice physical distancing while working in an essential business
Individuals not adhering to the physical distancing By-law can be fined a minimum of $500 and maximum of up to $100,000 for each offence.
If you would like to report individuals or an essential business not adhering to this By-Law, please submit a service request, call 311 or 905-874-2000.
- Please note: If you would like to submit this request anonymously, it must be done over the phone. Please call 311 or 905-874-2000.