Knowledge Article

City of Brampton 311. Request, track, and explore City Services.

Tree Issues - Includes Obstructions

The City of Brampton will respond to reports of litter and debris on City Property.

Possible reporting scenarios include:

  • Tree Debris
  • Garbage or Debris
  • Garbage can, leaves etc. on fire
  • Broken Glass
  • Vehicular debris from an accident
  • Real-estate and advertising signs obstructing the sidewalk or road
  • Animal fecal matter
  • Furniture Items
  • Garbage bags dumped
  • Blowing garbage
  • Shopping Carts
  • Real-estate signs, advertising signs or elections signs that Bylaw has asked to be removed
  • Leaves outside of the leaf vacuum program areas
  • Retrieval of Pylons

To report an Urgent matter, please contact 311 within Brampton or 905-874-2000.

What happens after I report my concern or submit my request?

  • A Service Request will be created and reviewed to determine the urgency
  • A Work Order will be generated to have the debris cleared
  • The Service Request will be updated with the resolution

Related Information:
Litter & Debris Pick-up

Last Updated on Feb 28, 2022